The Glick’s Block Demolition
by Lary Turner
The Glick’s Block, 2-10 Queen St. West, located at the corner of Queen St. and Adam St., has now been razed and a new development will rise in its place.
It was originally a frame commercial block; built by the Glick family that operated a hotel just west of the location in the 1840s. The commercial block was destroyed by fire April 3rd, 1877.
During its life span, it housed many of Hespeler’s earliest stores and shops such as Conrad Harbown, shoemaker (1859), William Knetchtel, harness maker (1862-63), Ashbury & Fitzsimmons, general merchants (1870-73), and many others. It also included a large hall on the second floor used mainly for social events and community meetings.
From the Galt Reporter.
Clearly visible are the rubblestone walls built circa 1877.
Following the 1877 fire, the Glick’s block was rebuilt of limestone with a cut stone facade facing Queen St. West. A succession of stores and businesses have occupied the location from then until Nov. 2020.
The Brewster Insurance Co. (1877 – 1924), Woods & Taylor (1881 – 1892), John Braid, S. H. Northcott, Lang & Beer, J.A. Beattie, J.H. Keeler, R.J. Keeler, Charles P. Grill, Frank Calvert, Fred Guenther & Son Jeweller, Henry Artfield Tobacco Shop and many others. George Allendorf and Herman Kreig both operated tinsmith shops out of the rear of the building.
Within recent memory (1960s – 1970s), Shano’s Pool Hall, Empire Restaurant/Cozy Restaurant, Hespeler Flowerland. During its last years, OV Olive Oil & Vinegar, Mill Pond Books & Records Store, Bridal Boutique, Tips & Toes Salon and an art studio.
The large Glick’s Hall on the second floor was renovated into space for a Law Office, a Real Estate and an accounting office. Plans for the new proposed development will see a five story apartment complex, with underground parking, and commercial space at street level.
The end of the road for the Glick’s Block.